Saturday, January 4, 2014

Magic World (working title): Chapter 10 part 11

Jackie rolled his eyes as he reached into his back pocket. Gary follow the movement of his hand very carefully.

"Don't get all offended, I didn't mean it as a bad thing, I was just a little surprised is all." He pulled what looked like a Boba Fett Lego out of his back pocket and set it on the table between them. Gary's eyebrows rose.  "He gave me that to give to you in the event that something happened to him."

"What is it," asked Gary picking up the figure.

Jackie shrugged. "He said it was the missing puzzle piece. No real idea what he could have meant by that."

Gary looked for figure over carefully. It was a little heavier than the standards Lego figure. Maybe that meant that there was something inside.  He tugged at the helmet, and realized that slid off quite easily, uncovering a USB interface.  He practically LOL'ed right there. A Lego Boba Fett USB thumb drive.

"Any idea what he wanted me to do with it?" he asked without much hope.

"Oh, gee, I don't know. What is it that you do with a thumb drive, genius?" said Jackie sarcastically, but in a good humored way that made Gary smirk. "If you stick it up your nose does it interface with your brain?"

Gary just stared at him trying to look annoyed despite the little grin on his face. "Right. Fine then. Do you have a safe place I can go to work on this then? Someplace like a garage where I can park my van, plug in the power?"

Jackie appeared to think about this for a moment, then said, "Mmm- yeah, I think I've got somewhere that will work. Anyone coming?" He nodded to the smartphone, which was still displaying camera images from security feeds in the city.

Gary looked through the images. "As far as I can tell, there are no commando types about, and no motorcycles either, at least not for a few blocks, where there are cameras about."

Jackie nodded, looking around. Then he stood up, gathering his newspaper, and the sandwich that had been hiding behind it.

"Well, we'd better get moving then, before anyone shows up," he said.

"Groovy. Hey d'you mind if we stop at a Starbucks along the way? I'm Jonsing for a caffeine fix."

Jackie raised an eyebrow considering him, then slowly shook his head. "Mmmm, nope. They could be waiting for us there."

Gary looked dejectedly at him. "Why the hell would they wait for us at a Starbucks? What, do you think it's a trap or some shit?"

Jackie nodded, then shrugged. "I always think everything is a trap. It's why I'm still alive."

Gary snorted. "Good one. Princess Bride, right?"

Jackie paused in the act of putting in his leather overcoat, looking confused. What the hell is a Princess Bride?"

Garry looked, at him in mild alarm, and they stared at each other for a moment before Jackie broke and said, "Totally kidding." Then he suddenly said, "Mawwage! Mawwage iz vwot bwing'v uf togeva to-dai."

"Whew," said Gary relieved. "For a second there I thought I was working with a Crazy Person."

No comments:

Post a Comment