Thursday, January 16, 2014

Magic World (working title): Chapter 11 part 2


The drive gave her an opportunity to make a quick phone call, so she deftly slung a bluetooth headset over her left ear, and hit the call button on her phone. It rang four times before it was picked up on the other end.

"Sign?" The voice was cold and harsh, and Rachele pitched her voice to match.

"Camelot Alpha six."

"Whiskey Merlin tre."

"Panacea. Extension 8117 please."

The voice suddenly became warmer. "Sure thing sweety. Ringing his line now. How's Africa?"

Rachele gave a sardonic half-smile. "Hot. How's Virginia?"

"Sultry," said the voice, languidly. "Okay, calls going through. Kisses."

Rachel smirking shook her head, as the line clicked over, and the voice of her supervisor said, "It's 3 in the morning, you better have located Nkosana or I swear you will find yourself in the deepest darkest part of Siberia before the end the day."

"Eh, that would be a no, Leonard," she told him, steeling herself for the conflict. "I do have his location narrowed down to a couple of city blocks however. So, a couple of days of observation should be able to locate him without too much trouble."

He grunted. "Why do I sense a gigantic BUT coming on?"

She paused and took a deep breath. "Do you remember that old guy, magical engineer, that you assigned me work with a few times? Raul Muyres?"

 Leonard grunted in acknowledgment.

"He got blown up, a little less than an hour ago, in Indiana."

He was silent for a moment, then she hear the sound of him moving around, then sitting down at his computer and checking his email. After a few moments he sighed heavily and said simply, "Fuck."

"Way to use your words, Larry." Sarcasm really helped her cope in situations like this.

"You know I can't sanction this," he told her flatly.

"I wouldn't ask you to," she countered quickly.

He grunted again. "What do you need?" he asked resignedly.

She managed not to sigh in relief. "Well a teleporter and psychic powers would be best, but I'll settle for a step over local law enforcement's head. I was thinking FBI, or even US Marshal maybe-"

"FBI, yeah I got a guy. He owes me a favor. Not a big one, but enough to get you in the door. The rest is in your capable hands. As usual."

She nodded, and said a little huskily. "Thanks Larry."

"Shit, don't say that, or I might start to think something's REALLY wrong with you. Anyway, you shouldn't thank me just yet, I can't do much else for you. You're not technically allowed any jurisdiction in the US, you're just a plain civilian inside US borders. Want my advice? Suck up to the guys in the FBI's Domestic Terrorism Division. I'm sure they'll have their noses so far up this thing's ass they'll know what they had for breakfast. Three weeks ago."

"Oh, great," she said sounding annoyed. "So now you think I should hang out with the most anal retentive group of stuck-up primadonas in the whole world. You're just a fucking peach today Lennie," using the too familiar version of this name, and making him growl.

No comments:

Post a Comment