Monday, September 23, 2013

Live and Die in Los Santos

Hey everyone.

Well I just finished GTA 5.

It has been a grand experience, running from the cops, stealing huge amounts of money, killing "bad guys" and generally causing as much mayhem as it is possible to cause. I don't know if I'm a better person for the experience, but certainly I've enjoyed myself, almost obsessively.

But in a rather odd way, I'm glad its over. Not because I didn't enjoy it, but more because I found myself not able to stop playing, as my wife can tell you. I'm sure she'll also be relieved to know that the whole think is over.

So now what? Well, first I think I'm going to start a new game. But this time I'll be taking things in moderation, taking it slow. Shorter sessions, more time devoted to the side missions, and other activities, more time looking for hidden things, and exploring the world underwater. I also need to make sure to take better care with my money. Unlike previous games where you get money after every mission in this game you get money far less often. And you need money for car upgrades, guns, tattoos, stock market trading, cars, and other things. It would be nice to be able to purchase more property.

Also, I'm looking forward to the Grand Theft Auto Online, which is the version of the game that you can play online, doing mostly the same things as in the game, for the most part. I'll be playing with my brother, and friend of ours.

So watching the end credits right now, I'm reminded of how absolutely gorgeous the game looks, as they show fly-throughs of the game's environments, which is what they always do in these games, so I hope that's not a spoiler for anyone. It's much more realistic looking than any of the previous games, with a map that's far larger. This is awesome, but I do have a minor criticism about this: It takes FOREVER to get anywhere, and the only thing you can do to speed up the process is call a cab, which does cost money, though not a lot, which is fortunate.

And believe it or not, I still have a lot of places in the game that I haven't fully explored. It was odd, looking at the incomplete map at the beginning and wondering exactly how big this thing must be, and still here at the end of the story they're still showing closer views of areas I haven't seen yet. I'm thinking I'll have to go in on my completed game save just to look around if nothing else.

So, I'm going to enjoy the heck out of GTA Online, probably play for a few hours each night, but this last week or so has been totally detrimental to my sleep, and I need to catch up. I'd meant to go to sleep at midnight tonight, just to get a little extra, but if you look at the time-stamp on this, you'll see that idea got blown out of the water. I think I would have been okay though if this hadn't been the end of the game. Every mission has that sense of urgency for the next one, like, "Now all we need to do is get the thing-a-ma-bobber, and we'll be ready to take down the whozamawhatsis! Get on that!" and your thinking. "You GOT it! We are SO doing this!" Heh... I won't fall for that again.

And you know, I've never been a fan of rap or hip-hop, but in context, when you're playing as Franklin you kinda get used to it. But what I really like is the ambient music that plays when you're in a mission, which sounds like sci-fi music somehow, but still works.

And still the credits are playing. What else can I talk about until they're done?

The non-rap, non-dance, music on the radio was a little disappointing to me, the rock station didn't seem to have a ton. While I did kinda like some of the music, not all of it was great, nothing that made me want to sit in the car and listen to the radio for a few seconds extra like I'd heard in previous ventures.

Okay credits seem to be ending...

And a note from a therapist. Amazing. Apparently I'm pretty f*cked up. And now I'm back at home, in the game.

So that's that. Overall, a fantastic experience, not without some minor flaws, but with a lot of things that worked better than they did in previous incarnations of the game. I think there might have even been some things that tied this game to Red Dead Redemption. But that's not really relevant right now. For now, I need to get to bed.

Oh before I go, if you have the game and you want to hook up online my  gamertag is billyuno01 on X-box live. If you want to meet up in Los Santos, feel free to add me.

Comments and suggestions welcome, and treasured.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment