Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Magic World (working title): Chapter 9 part 11

The Drow smiled. "Good answer."

(continued)

"So, Bernard," he said, pronouncing the name correctly, "now that we've got the introductions out of the way, do you know why I'm here?"

Bernard thought about it for a moment, which The Drow seemed to approve of. But his mouth couldn't resist getting one shot in. He had noticed that the dark elfs white eyelashes seemed a little too long, and a little TOO white, and there seemed to be more white around....

He smirked slightly. "Are you wearing Guy-liner?"

He heard the orc eating the sandwich behind him trying not to laugh, and choking a little.

The Drows expression didn't drop in the slightest, though there did seem to be an expression of weary resignation around his eyes. "Now wou-"

"You're the fixer," interrupted Bernard. "You set up the jobs and take a cut of the profits. Since you have a vested interest in the job I expect you take a keen interest in the outcome."

"You would be correct," said The Drow. "However it does not seem to the job has gone according to plan. If it had I would be talking to a very annoying blonde halfling right now, instead of a larger brutish getaway driver with an underbite." 

Bernard nodded. This was how the game was played, and he needed to play by the rules. "No problem," he said, "How much was your cut?"

The Drow smirked. "150." 

Bernard sighed and rolled his eye, but that was just for show. He could easily afford that with a lot left over. It was better though if this upstart dark elf  didn't know that, though so he tried negotiation. 

"125. The halfling didn't keep his end of the bargain to me, so what happened to him, -and to your cut- is on him."

"Oh I'm very sorry, did I give you the impression that this was a negotiation? No no no... 150 was the price for an old friend. An annoying mean little twat he was, but still a friend. For you the price is-"

"Was?" said Bernard raising an eyebrow. "He ain't dead, he's just out cold out in the SUV."

"But... the gunshot..."

Bernard shrugged. "...was him trying to shoot me." 

The Drow stared at him for a moment, then nodded to the orc behind him to go check. The orc got up off the stool, and picked up his sandwich, and walked out the front door. 

"As I was saying, the price for you is.... 200." 

Bernard stared. That was outrageous. "You've got to be joking. I did my bit, and I got my pay. Anything the halfling fucked up from then on ain't for me to pay for, you should take it up with him."

"Oh believe me, I am..." 

A gunshot sounded outside, and Bernard's blood ran cold, but he tried to keep the emotion off his face.

"...but that won't get me my money back, now will it Bernard?"

Bernard went through all the possibilities in his head: Refuse = Dead. Negotiate = Probably dead. Give up the money = probably live. 

"Fine," he said. "I'll go out there and get it." 

"Oh no, mister clever driver. We watched you put the bag in that car. My associate should return with the it very soon."

**********************************Chapter 9 Part 12

No comments:

Post a Comment