Saturday, October 26, 2013

The lamentation of vehicular acquisitions in post-calamitous happenstance.

Hey guys.

So, since being in the accident I have discovered something important.Buying a car SUCKS. we want to get a new model 2013 or 14, because the previous used cars that we purchased have all had some major flaws. The Jeep had some problems in the rear axle, I wasn't that keen on the Malibu at first, but it grew on me, but now it has the slight disadvantage of being totaled.

I'm in a rental car right now but that's gonna last for so long, so we need a car and we need it yesterday.

But of course, we don't want to let the dealers know this. It's year end close out time, everyone's got a quota to meet, and while the deals are going to be very good, I'm preparing myself to feel like shark bait.

The biggest problem we have to deal with right now, is that we have a very specific and tight budget. My wife, who is both genius and OCD about these things, has been running herself ragged with stress, looking at cars and trying to figure out what we can afford. And you know, planning a wedding was not this stressful. Getting my job was not the stressful. Hell, buying a goddamn house was not stressful.

Of course it moulding be nearly this bad if you weren't such a hurry, and under normal circumstances I'd be extremely excited about this. We would finally afford to get all the things we want a car. Just from a safety standpoint I've been wanting bluetooth for a long time. Preferably with the option to stream music directly from my phone, but at least with an audio jack if nothing else. for too long now I've been having to use headphones to listen to audio books, which isn't really very safe either.

The rental car, a Ford Focus, is this hideous silver color which I just can't stand. in fact most colors seem garish and ghastly to me currently. So that would leave either a neutral beige color, some shade of off-white, or my personal preference, black.

And of course since I live in Iowa, and we have snow here in the winter, and because I commute to work 5 days a week, 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive seem like a pretty good idea too.

And of course I know there are people who get by without this stuff every single day, and if they don't feel like they want them that's fine too, but I would feel safer knowing that I had them, and would take them if I had the choice.

The other big problem is that we keep getting our expectations set really high, only to find out that what we thought was possible actually isn't. we were going to use car buying services through either AT&T or USAA, found out that what they were offering wasn't that great anyway. We also found out that the payout on your insurance is not going to be nearly as much as we thought, though we will get the deductible back and that's kind of nice. But when we started we were using the tools that these services gave us, and they made it seem as though we were going to have a very good monthly payment, well under our expected budget, but then when we started to make adjustments to get closer to what we're finding out we will have available for financing, and then the numbers starting to not look as good anymore.

And is highly demoralizing, because then you have to start thinking about what you'd be willing to give up. And that's like freakin Sophie's Choice, which one of my children has to die?

Okay, yes, I'm being melodramatic. But nonetheless it is stressful.

But anyway, we found a Mitsubishi dealer near Chicago that has what we want at an incredibly low price, and of course it's 3 hours away. But if that's what it takes, we're just going to have to suck it up and do it. its still going to hit our budget pretty hard, but Tori thinks she can make it work. She is an absolute genius I tell you, and if there was any justice in the world the US government hire her to balance a budget and eliminate the national debt.

Anyway ranting complete. now it's time to relieve some stress by gunning down troops with an AK 47... in GTA of course... why, what did you think I meant? Then I need to get to bed.

Tomorrow is going to be a loooong day.

No comments:

Post a Comment